1. Squeegee World is a brand new forum for the Window Cleaning Industry and we are currently looking for volunteer Moderators to help jump start this new forum. This forum is started by Cleaners for Cleaners.

We are currently looking for new Moderators and Contributors to this new Window Cleaning Forum.

SqueegeeWorld is a NEW FORUM and offers the following:

• Free Classifieds Buy/Sell/Trade Window Cleaning Equipment
    • Marketing & Advertising Techniques
    • Managing a Window Cleaning Business
    • All types of Window Cleaning Topics
    • And much more to come

ps:...All new users who sign up and create 100+ posts will receive FREE SEO Do-Follow Backlinks & able to Sell in the classifieds at no cost for a lifetime.

family member as employee

Discussion in 'Managing Your Business' started by john, Dec 18, 2014.

1. john

john New Member

Do I have to pay the minimum wage to a family member? I am thinking about cutting back on some costs by employing my wife. Has anyone done this?
  2. SpicAndSpanShawn

SpicAndSpanShawn Member

I know a friend that has hired a family member and it was pretty fine with it, though when the family member has shown himself that he is not able to handle the job as it was expected out of him the friend didn't have the heart to fire him and his business went bad. So just keep in mind that you should consider the family member as same as any other employee
  3. Brandy

Brandy Member

Well if it's a family member maybe go a bit easier but since money doesn't go on trees you can't go too easy on them to make your business much worse, I've worked with my brother before and it turned out fine because there were things we both agreed on beforehand
  4. SpicAndSpanShawn

SpicAndSpanShawn Member

well that's the point, don't do that because it's business. You treat them normally
  5. Ifsg

Ifsg New Member

Business Consultant and Financial Services
    You want to actually hire her, correct? We are not just asking the wife to help out for a bit and I will pay you back with my undying gratitude and appreciation, you intend to file the new hire paperwork, cut her a check and deduct the taxes?

If yes, then yes. Yes, you must pay her minimum wage and you must pay payroll taxes.